Building and Benefiting from a Diverse Campus
CU Denver prides itself on being one of the most diverse campuses in the University of Colorado school system. Doing so gives our students a much better chance to succeed both in the classroom and in post-collegiate endeavors.
Why Diversity Matters in Education
The reason we still talk about diversity and inclusion on campuses nationwide is because of the Coleman Report. Commissioned in 1966 by the U.S. Office of Education, the report detailed how diversity positively affects education in general. The study considered both the characteristics of schools and faculty members in its discoveries.
These findings were groundbreaking, to say the least.
Bringing together students from different backgrounds improves students’ cognitive abilities and opens students up to new ideas about the world that would otherwise be untouched.
Students who study at diverse campuses learn to navigate an increasingly diverse world, something that employers find very attractive.
Simply stated, diversity improves the way people think about a multitude of ideas like race, gender, sexual orientation/identity, etc.
Diversity at CU Denver
At #201 in national diversity rankings, CU Denver is leaps and bounds ahead of the national average.
Over half of our undergraduate students and faculty members are female, with nearly even splits among age groups. According to collegefactual.com, the undergraduate population at CU Denver mirrors this distribution, with approx. 6,254 males and 7,255 females.
30% of CU Denver’s students are in the traditional 18-22 year-old demographic, nearly half of the national average. The remaining 70% are 22 years old or older, giving the younger students a chance to learn from people who decided to gain work experience before returning to college later in life.
CU Denver hosts monthly cultural events that emphasize supporting students of all cultural backgrounds on campus. They are both creative and academic based events for all students, faculty, family and friends to attend. 41% of students at CU Denver indentify as being students of color and the campus is hope to 7% international students.
Easy Related Posts
6 Non-Academic Lessons Taught at Schools
Early on, college can seem like just another chore. When I was a student and ...read more
An Introduction to Veteran & Military Student Programs
Here at CU Denver, we take pride in providing our military men and women with ...read more
6 Benefits of Studying in a Small Class
CU Denver has a faculty to student ratio of 16:1. Over 1/3 of the classes ...read more
Get the Most Out of Career Services and Jumpstart Your Future
There are many resources available to you on campus, one of which is Career Services. ...read more